via press release:
Tonight, 90s television sitcom favorites, Mario Lopez and everyone’s beloved next door neighbor, Andrea Barber hit the neon-lit Las Vegas Strip at night with more than 35,000 runners to conquer the sold out Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & Half Marathon benefiting the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Kicking off the race, Grammy winners Macklemore & Ryan Lewis pumped up the crowd with their hits “Thrift Shop”, “White Walls” and closed out the show by playing “Can’t Hold Us”; perfect for the runners as the lyrics mention “this is the moment, tonight is the night, we’ll fight 'til it’s over”.
- Even with an injured rotator cuff, Mario Lopez rocked the Zappos.com Rock ‘n’ Roll 1/2 of the 1/2 and finished with fans who ran over to take selfies with the TV host after their memorable run
- Mario was most excited to run RNR Las Vegas because he loves to run at night and what better place to do it then on the Las Vegas Strip! Favorite artist on his running playlist: Avicii
- Mario chatting with Meb Keflezighi (paced the 1:45 half marathon group) about his Boston Marathon win and telling him how big of a fan he was of Meb
- Prior to taking the stage, Macklemore mentioned how he was inspired and was “going to run a marathon and Ryan is going to run the half marathon and then I am going to run another half marathon”
- 2 half marathons in 2 states in 1 day! Andrea Barber participated in a half marathon in the morning in California, got on a plane and then participated in the nighttime Las Vegas event- her favorite event of all time!
About the Rock ‘n’ Roll Running Weekend: Over 43,000 runners participated in the weekend’s events, which included the inaugural 5k on Saturday night. Running through neon tunnels and down the strip around the SLS Hotel, participants tackled the 3.2 mile course and were treated to food trucks, beer garden and a hour performance from Chromeo at the finish line village. On Sunday, runners from all over the world completed the 13.1 and 26.2 mile Sin City trek with an eye-popping finish line alongside the erupting Mirage volcano. Runners enjoyed bands/djs at every mile, thousands of screaming spectators and at the run-through wedding over 75 couples got married on-the-go at Monte Carlo. Throughout the weekend, runners were given the VIP treatment and received entry and open bars at the top nightclubs.
Follow me on social media: